Homemade sweet chilli …
Sweet chilli is fast becoming one of our favourite sauces. The sticky sauce is super-sweet with an added kick of chilli.
In a wrap, dipped in wedges, or marinated with chicken a sure hit with kids; sticky and sweet they love it. Sweet chilli also tastes great with both pasta and rice; and for all the slimming world mums out there sweet chilli is safe!
But nothing tastes as good home-made foods and this sweet chilli recipe takes just one hour cooking time and can be stored for three months.
All you need
- 8 red peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 10 red chillies, roughly chopped
- finger-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 750g golden caster sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
What to do?
- Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until very finely chopped.
- Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil.
- Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. At this stage it should look like thick, bubbling lava.
- Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.
- Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.
Read: Healthy lunch box ideas
maternity & infant
Originally posted 2015-01-07 16:50:50.