The first pieces of information every mum needs to know about postpartum hair loss (a.k.a baby hair) is that it’s completely normal and it doesn’t mean you’re going to go bald. While every woman (and every pregnancy) is different, in most cases hair will eventually grow back to it’s full strength.
Why does it happen?
Before pregnancy about 15 per cent of your hair is in the resting stage while the remaining 85 per cent is in the growing stage. Hair in the resting stage usually falls out while you are treating it with shampoo or brushing it through with a comb. Once this hair falls out, it’s replaced by newly grown hair. Did you notice your hair was particularly thick and luscious during your pregnancy? This was due to the higher oestrogen levels, resulting in less hair entering the resting stage and falling out. However, after pregnancy your oestrogen levels, which were sky high in the previous months, fall dramatically and a larger percentage of your hair now enters the resting stage.
When does it start?
This type of hair loss mostly occurs around the hairline on the forehead, instead of regularly falling out in clumps and patches, which is a common misconception. A lot of new mothers think they’ve dodged the baby hair bullet once they’ve given birth and retained their luscious locks. However hair loss associated with pregnancy usually occurs in the months after your baby is born, typically when your child has hit the four month mark.
Will it grow back?
The bad news is that there’s nothing you can do to prevent this type of shedding. The good news is that hair typically grows back within the first year of your child’s birth. Yet, if you wish to help the process along there are some things you can do to help your hair grow. For starter, avoid tight ponytails and hairstyles that are going to add stress to you locks. Also, many studies suggest that an increase in omega-3 fatty acids, zinc and biotin, can contribute to the re-growth of your pre-pregnancy mane.
Originally posted 2016-09-22 16:30:23.