A weight watchers survey of over 2,000 women has found that we critise ourselves up to eight times a day.
Sad as it sounds, we believe it to be true.
Personally, I criticise myself probably every time I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror but not obsessively. ‘Oh my hairs a mess’, ‘I look wrecked’, or ‘why did I wear this, it doesn’t suit me’.
But I forget about it two minutes later, it’s when it really starts to get you down to the point where you can’t even look in the mirror at yourself that you need to change your lifestyle or speak to someone about how you are feeling.
Zoe Griffiths, Head of Public Health and Programme at Weight Watchers commented: “Our research has shown that being unkind to ourselves has been an underlying theme for women for many years, but a set of very modern cultural conditions have increased the intensity of this unkindness which are hard to avoid”.
Here are the top 20 things women are likely to criticise themselves over:
1. You’re too fat/overweight
2. Your hair is a mess
3. Your belly looks big
4. You don’t do enough exercise
5. Feeling scruffy next to other women
6. Not earning enough money
7. You say you are having a ‘fat day’
8. Not wearing certain items of clothing because you think you can’t pull it off
9. You wish you were as photogenic as other women on social media
10. You deflect compliments by saying something negative about yourself
11. You worry people are talking about you behind your back
12. Feeling underdressed
13. I’m not stylish enough
14. You don’t have sex with your partner enough
15. You aren’t as creative as other women
16. Your bum looks big
17. You aren’t as organised as other women
18. You don’t spend as much time with your friends as you should
19. You’re not wearing enough make-up
20. You aren’t attractive to your partner