One of the first big jobs you need to do when pregnant is prepare the contents of your hospital bag checklist – that’s when things get REAL! We look at what you need to know, and get the inside track from mums who have been there.
On your first appointment at the hospital, you would have been handed a long list – what you should pack in your hospital bag for B-Day. This list is packed away until you reach the latter stages of your pregnancy and you suddenly realise that you really need to get your bag ready. Then, when you start looking at the various bits you need, the reality of giving birth really hits home! It’s exciting and nerve wracking in equal measure!
To help make the job a little easier, we’ve supplied you with a definitive list for you and baby.
When should I pack my bag?
It’s never too soon to be prepared, and it’s recommended that you have some sort of basic bag packed by the time you’re 32 weeks’ pregnant, or earlier if you’re expecting twins or are considered high-risk. Mums who end up in hospital earlier than expected stress the importance of being prepared – lists given to partners or family only go so far!
- Three cotton nightdresses or loose pyjamas
- Two maternity bras
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream
- Two packets of maternity pads
- Dark-coloured towel and face cloth
- Light dressing gown and slippers or flip flops
- Six pairs of old or disposable underwear
- Shower gel
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Cleanser and moisturiser
- Hairbrush and bobbin
- Phone and charger
- Magazine or book
- Notepad and pen
- Coins for parking, snacks etc
- Witch hazel to soothe stitches
- Copy of birth plan
- Details of any medication/hospital notes
- An old nightgown
- Light dressing gown and socks
- Clean nightwear for after the birth
- Hair bobbin
- Lip balm
- Bottle of water and snacks
- Facial mist spray
- TENS machine
- Toiletries and towel
- Nappy, vest, babygro, hat and scratch mittens for baby
In your baby’s bag:
- Six long-sleeved babygros or sleepsuits
- Six vests
- One pack of disposable newborn nappies
- Two cardigans
- Two hats
- Two pairs of scratch mittens
- One blanket
- Two soft baby towels
- One baby sponge
- Nappy cream
- Cotton wool
maternity & infant
Originally posted 2017-10-16 15:00:32.